What is the State’s Attorney’s jurisdiction?
The Beadle County State’s Attorney’s Office prosecutes felony, misdemeanor and juvenile crimes throughout Beadle County.

Can you provide me with legal advice?
No. The State’s Attorney’s Office is prevented by law from answering legal questions or offering legal advice.

How do I report a crime?
All crime reports should be directed to the police agency in the area where the crime occurred. The State’s Attorney’s Office does not take crime reports. If you’re trying to report an emergency situation, call 911 on your telephone to be connected to the emergency services you require.

How do I get a copy of a police report?
Copies of police reports are given only to attorneys. You are welcome to stop by the State’s Attorney’s Office and read a report of which you are the subject. You will not be allowed to make copies or remove the report from the State’s Attorney’s Office.

Can I gain access to criminal records online?
There is no mechanism in place for public access to criminal records online. The Clerk of Courts is the agency that archives this information. You must deal with them directly.

I’m a victim of identity theft. How can I restore my credit?
South Dakota law offers powerful solutions for victims of identity theft. For steps you can take to prevent identity theft or clear your credit report of negative entries resulting from this crime, visit our page on identity theft here.

How can I have my criminal record expunged?
Because there are different procedures depending on what the crime was and how the sentencing was handled, you need to go to the court that convicted you and request, from the clerk’s office – criminal window, the correct forms and procedures for expungement. A judge will then come to a decision that could reduce your conviction from a felony to a misdemeanor or a misdemeanor to dismissal. Another approach is to request clemency from the Governor of South Dakota and you may hire your own attorney to help you with this. With this approach your record is not expunged, but you’re given clemency.

Whom can I talk to about a consumer-related problem?
The Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General’s Office is a valuable resource for reporting a consumer related problem or in finding information about the types of consumer crimes people are experiencing.

How do I verify if a business is operating legitimately or if it has been the subject of complaints?
The Better Business Bureau provides information about businesses and consumer complaints on the web at http://search.bbb.org/search.html. You may also contact the South Dakota Secretary of State at http://www.sdsos.gov/.

How can I recover losses from a bad check?
The State’s Attorney’s Bad Check Restitution Program may help recover losses from a bad check. We currently have a link to the PDF file on our “Legal Links” page.

How do I make “spam” stop showing up in my e-mail?
There are no easy answers to this question. Spam is legally required to contain an “Opt-Out” option, but using it often adds you to even more lists that are sold to the spamming community and increases the amount of spam you receive. Some e-mail programs offer filtering capabilities to delete incoming spam, but you need to manually configure this option. The governing authority over this type of problem is the Federal Trade Commission. They will take your complaints if you write to uce@ftc.gov. Complaints to the FTC help the agency fight spammers who are scam artists.

Where do I go to make a complaint about a problem with a privately retained attorney?
The State Bar of South Dakota takes complaints against attorneys investigates those complaints, and prosecutes/disciplines attorneys. For more information on how the State Bar can help, visit their website at http://www.sdbar.org/.

Where do I find information on child support? Who can I talk to about wages garnished for child support?
Please submit all child support inquiries to the South Dakota Division of Child Support (DCS) at: (605) 773-3165. All written correspondence should be directed to:

Department of Social Services
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501


Beadle County States' Attorney © 2018. All Rights Reserved.
About  |  Helpful Links  |  Contact Us