The Civil Department has the following responsibilities:
- Provide legal representation and legal advice to all appointed and elected officials of the County.
- Provide representation at meetings of the County Commissioners and other government or private agencies as necessary.
- Give legal advice and assistance to county officers on County employment issues and collective bargaining agreements, election issues, jail matters, property tax valuation appeals and bonding issues.
- Represent the County in court on civil matters, whether the County initiated or is defending the action.
- Work with other government agencies on joint cooperation ventures.
- Assist with the drafting, interpretation and enforcement of County ordinances.